Saturday, August 24, 2019

My Take on Growth Mindset

When reading the words Growth Mindset, nothing really clicked for me on what the subject was really going to pertain and what it truly was. Before listening to the videos from Carol Dweck's videos I had never heard of this type of learning and have never heard of any teacher trying to implement this version of teaching. However, after listening to the videos and reading some of the descriptions I have really thought about it and kind of relate some of the things to my every day life of being a aviation student. In the department of aviation we do a lot of self grading and grading that is based on how we feel about that certain lesson that we've done that day. For example, for each flight lesson we have a syllabus ticket that goes to that lesson and it has a list of items that are suppose to be taught and practiced for that lesson. Then at the end of the flight you and your instructor go over those items and discuss what went wrong and what went right during the flight and if there are any areas that need to be worked on. By doing this sort of system of doing a post flight brief you and your flight instructor are able to obtain feedback from each other and see what progress is being made and also if the instructor themselves need to change the way they are teaching something. I have greatly noticed a difference in my flights when I have flight instructor that communicates with me before and after a flight, rather than a instructor that just gets in and gets out and no feedback at all. 
So I see where there can be an effective system of teaching and learning in the education system. However, as it was pointed out can it be effectively put in place with a normal grading system of right or wrong and getting a percent based grade on the number of points that are received. I believe that they way the classes is structured where it is based on completion and writing about what they have learned during the assignment is more effective than the student just getting points based off of right and wrong answers. 

Meme taken from Growth Mindset and Feedback Cats by Laura Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment