Sunday, September 1, 2019

Epics of India: Topic Brainstorming

Food

Like previously stated in one of my blog posts I found an interest in the storybooks that pertained to food. So, one of the topics that I found of interest is the topic of food. It would be interesting to investigate the different foods that are of popular means to India and how they may have originated and what types of foods are of sacred value to them. For instance, I have always associated that mangoes are of a Mexican culture and that they must have originated from there; however, mangoes started in India and I was kind of surprised from that when I first found that out.

A little history about the mango: https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html


Music

The second thing that I find of interest is the topic of music that is associated with the India culture. I find this interesting because you can honestly tell a lot about a culture through the music that they play and the meanings behind the music. You can find a lot about the symbolism about what the song means by when they play the song and where the song is played at. I think this kind of sticks out to me because I grew up in a small town here in Oklahoma that has a pretty rich native American culture and they have a strong music background that has a cultural significance to them to keep their culture alive.

I added the link to the YouTube playlist, because I feel it’s the best way to quickly learn about the different types of music and then do more research once you find one that interests you. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sita+rama+kirtan

Traveling

The third topic is, the traveling of India, this is for sure a topic that I find of interest only because I hope in the future that my career will allow me to travel to many places. So this topic would allow me to research about different places in India and then be able to form a knowledge of what there is in India. Then maybe in the future if I ever get chance to go then I will have already done some digging on the best places to be and also if it is a good time of the year to go.


Festivals

The fourth topic that I chose is looking into the different festivals and holidays that are celebrated in India. Just in doing the little bit of research to be able to write this blog post I have found that they have a really rich culture full of festivals and celebrations for different things. The biggest topic I think I have found that is celebrated the most is there is pretty much a celebration for every god or god like figure that we will be reading about for this class. So, I think in picking this topic it will help me dive a little deeper into the different characters backgrounds as we progress through this course.

Here is a link to the festival that stuck out to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navaratri

Dance at the Festival of Navaratri
Source: WikiMedia

1 comment:

  1. I love your interest in Indian food and festivals. India has so much culture and so many festivals hard to keep in track of maybe one month I would not have a specific festival but some communities and people of different religion might have some. Diwali also called the festival of lights is one of India's main festivals like Christmas for others. We also have more than 200 varieties of mangoes in India and I personally have tried only 32 of theme we only get the almond mango from Mexico here in America not a lot of variety.

    ReplyDelete