Sunday, September 1, 2019

Feedback Thoughts


Source: The Blue Diamond

Feedback is probably one of the biggest things that can make or break something that can become a success or a failure in the matter of seconds. My view of feedback is that it is a good thing if it is done correctly and if all parties that are involved will use it. The reason that I value feedback especially in college is because of subject matter that I am studying. In aviation you can read about how to do something a hundred times but its not till you get out there in the cockpit and takeoff and do the thing that you finally realize what you supposed to be doing. This is where feedback is a really good tool because now that you read about it and went out and did the thing, how do you know that you really did it right or is there something that you can do better next time. So, in the aviation world we really rely on our flight instructors to give us feedback and talk over what happened and where we can train more on.

So, by taking what I just talked about and relating it to the speech that John Cleese, “The Importance of Mistakes”. You find that with every mistake that the missile made it learned from it and eventually got to where it was supposed to go. So, in the aviation world with every hour that you log of flight time you are just gaining that much more knowledge of how to correct what was previously done and how to deal with different things when they present themselves again.

The other thing that I read was “6 Hidden Downsides of Perfectionism”, I find this interesting and somewhat relatable. The first few things that were talked about in this article I found to be interesting especially when talking about procrastination. Procrastination is something that I struggle with all the time and have since high school. I would like to say that I am some version of a perfectionist and my family would agree with that. So, when looking at how procrastination is found in perfectionist because of the struggle of having everything line up correctly is interesting to me. I find this interesting because I see this in myself a lot, there are countless times where I will push something off because the task that I was doing before hand took five minutes longer than it should have. Even when I am at work and a task takes longer than it should have or it took longer than the time goal that I set for myself, I get this feeling of not being able to accomplish anything and it just starts a downhill approach for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment